Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day... Not for everyone!

On being my mother's daughter--

Being my mother's child had its ups and downs but all in all I have to say that my childhood was rich and full of love. Now looking back on those "downs" I see that they were my life's lessons, lessons preparing my for being a parent. As a child I couldn't see that, it just looked like mom was just trying to be mean to me! Anyone who knows me knows that my mother and I have an unbreakable bond and an unconditional love and mutual respect as women and now mothers. My mom and I have encountered a relationship between a mother and daughter that has been one of duty -- I had you now I have to take care of you! I''m not getting into the herstory of them but, now the mother is in her 80's and in a high-end assisted living facility and essentially is alone. The daughter comes to see her mother every other Sunday. Of all of her siblings her is the only one still living. She has some moments where she is lucid and there are moments when she takes residence in her own mind, which in some cases may be far more easier to live with the reality. In my opinion, the daughter has created a pocket in her mind that allows her not to have to deal with the reality, that they both never resolved their issues and she is now facing the possible death of her mother. Please understand these are not bad people at all, they just have difficulty with relationships.

My mother talked at length today about this situation, and we are saddened to know that there are broken mother/daughter relationships. If you happened to read this blog and you or someone you know has a broken relationship, no matter the relation, try to mend the fences. I share with you this quote and final thought...

Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.
- Oprah Winfrey-

No comments: